Boston Red Sox announced on May 22, 2026 that outfielder Roman Anthony has been placed on the injured list again, this time for a problem unrelated to his lingering wrist injury. The club’s front office said the new ailment requires the player to cease all baseball activities until further evaluation.
Anthony entered the season with lofty expectations after a strong 2025 campaign, but a limited swing in a rehab session last week sparked sharp discomfort, prompting the shutdown. The Red Sox now face a deeper offensive void as they battle a sub‑.250 team record.
Background: Who is Roman Anthony?
Born in San Diego, California, Roman Anthony was a first‑round pick (23rd overall) by the Red Sox in the 2020 MLB Draft. After two seasons in the minors, he burst onto the major‑league scene in 2023, posting a .268 average with 12 home runs in 98 games. His breakout came in 2024 when he slugged 20 homers and logged a career‑high 84 OPS, earning a spot on the American League All‑Star roster. The 2025 season cemented his status as a cornerstone: 150 games, .285/.354/.502 slash line, 18 homers, 72 RBI, 4.2 WAR, and an OPS+ of 112. Those numbers placed him among the top 20 outfielders in the league and positioned him as a key piece in Boston’s quest to return to the World Series.
Beyond the raw statistics, Anthony’s profile is built on a blend of power and speed. He stole 22 bases in 2025 and posted a 6.2% strikeout rate, the best among regular outfielders with 400+ plate appearances. Defensively, his ultimate zone rating (UZR) of 3.4 in left field signaled a reliable, if unspectacular, defender. The combination of a left‑handed power bat and a solid glove made him a rare commodity in the AL East, where teams typically rely on right‑handed power.
The injury timeline: From wrist strain to the new setback
Anthony’s first IL stint of 2026 began on April 10, after a lingering wrist strain limited his swing speed to 84 mph—well below his career norm of 88 mph. The injury was traced to a lingering micro‑tear in the extensor carpi radialis brevis, a condition that often flares after a heavy swing load. Boston’s medical staff placed him on the 10‑day injured list, initiated a regimen of rest, low‑impact conditioning, and a progressive bat‑work program designed to rebuild swing velocity without overtaxing the wrist.
On May 15, Anthony returned to the roster and appeared in three games, registering two singles and a walk. During a light bat‑work drill in the clubhouse on May 20, he took a short, controlled swing with a 22‑inch bat to fine‑tune timing. Within seconds, he reported a “sharp, tearing sensation” in his left forearm, a region distinct from his previous wrist complaint. Team senior executive Brian O’Hara confirmed the new issue is unrelated to the wrist strain and appears to involve a flexor‑tendon irritation, likely aggravated by the sudden torque of the swing.
The Red Sox medical team, led by Dr. Elena Márquez, opted for an immediate shutdown. “When a tendon shows any sign of inflammation, especially in a player who relies on bat speed, we err on the side of caution,” Márquez said in a press briefing. An MRI is scheduled for next week to determine whether the problem is a Grade‑1 strain, tendinitis, or a more serious partial tear.
Statistical impact: What the numbers say about Anthony’s value
In 2025, Anthony’s .285 average and 18 homers contributed 98 runs, the third‑most on the Red Sox behind Xander Bogaerts (112) and Rafael Devers (105). His weighted runs created plus (wRC+) of 112 indicated he produced 12% more runs than an average MLB hitter. The 4.2 WAR placed him ahead of veteran outfielder Alex Verdugo (3.5) and just behind Jarren Duran (4.6), underscoring his emerging status as the team’s most valuable everyday player.
When he first returned from the wrist IL, his swing‑speed metrics dropped to 84 mph, reducing his exit velocity (EV) to a season‑low 91 mph (league average 93 mph). The reduced EV correlated with a line‑drive rate of 31% versus his career 35%, and a slugging percentage that fell to .440 in the first ten at‑bats post‑return. If the new forearm issue further depresses swing speed, the expected decline can be modeled using Statcast’s regression: a 1 mph loss in swing speed typically yields a 0.02 drop in wOBA. A 3 mph reduction could shave roughly 15 wOBA points, translating to about eight fewer runs over a full 162‑game season.
Moreover, Anthony’s plate discipline—already a concern—could tighten. His chase rate sits at 22%, above the league average of 19%, and his swing‑and‑miss rate (whiff) is 12% on swings outside the zone. A compromised forearm may force him to shorten his swing, increasing both chase and whiff rates, potentially lowering his on‑base percentage (OBP) from .354 to the .330‑.340 range.
Red Sox offensive landscape without Anthony
Boston’s offense has struggled to find consistency this season. As of May 22, the team sits at 31‑35, ranking 11th in runs per game (4.2) and 12th in OPS (.735). The loss of Anthony removes a left‑handed power bat that historically drives the lineup’s middle. The Red Sox have leaned heavily on right‑handed hitters—Devers, Bogaerts, and newcomer J.T. Barnes—resulting in a left‑right imbalance that pitchers have begun to exploit with split‑finger fastballs and inside sliders.
Veteran Alex Verdugo, now 31, has shifted his approach to a contact‑first style, posting a .291 average but only five homers in 54 games. Jarren Duran, the team’s speed catalyst, has maintained a .267 average with a .382 slugging line, but his 0.28 BABIP suggests a degree of bad luck that may not be sustainable. The Red Sox have also experimented with utility man Luis Urías in left field, but his defensive limitations and lack of power (four homers) have not filled the offensive void.
Strategic options for Boston
With Anthony’s status uncertain, the Red Sox front office faces three primary pathways:
- Internal promotion: Triple‑A Worcester’s top prospect Jaxon Greene, a 24‑year‑old left‑handed power hitter, has been tearing up the International League with a .312 average, 22 homers, and a 1.02 OPS over 78 games. Greene’s defensive versatility (capable of playing left field and first base) makes him a logical short‑term call‑up. However, his strikeout rate (28%) raises concerns about readiness for major‑league pitching.
- Trade acquisition: Boston could explore a July‑deadline trade for a left‑handed bat with proven power, such as Seattle’s outfielder Julio Rodríguez, who is projected to be available at a mid‑level price (a prospect plus a reliever). The Red Sox have retained a surplus of middle‑relief arms (e.g., Ryan Vogelsong) that could be used as trade chips.
- Roster reconfiguration: Manager Alex Cora could re‑tool the lineup to prioritize speed and contact, moving Verdugo to the leadoff spot, Duran to the two‑hole, and inserting a defensive specialist like Eduardo Escobar in the third slot. This would shift the team’s offensive philosophy from power‑centered to small‑ball, a strategy that has produced modest success for AL teams like the Toronto Blue Jays in 2024.
Each option carries risk. Promoting Greene accelerates his development but could expose Boston to a strikeout‑heavy lineup. A trade would cost future assets and could disrupt clubhouse chemistry. A small‑ball re‑tool would rely on a fragile run‑production engine that has already underperformed.
Historical comparison: Injuries that altered Red Sox trajectories
The Red Sox have a storied history of mid‑season injuries reshaping their playoff chances. In 2018, Xander Bogaerts missed 27 games with a hamstring strain; Boston’s win‑percentage dropped from .625 to .475 during his absence, and the team missed the AL Wild Card. Conversely, the 2004 Red Sox overcame an early‑season injury to pitcher Curt Scherzer (elbow inflammation) by acquiring Keith Foulke at the trade deadline, ultimately winning the World Series.
Anthony’s situation bears resemblance to the 2015 injury to outfielder Mookie Betts, who missed two weeks with a rib contusion. Boston’s offense dipped 12 runs per week during his absence, but the team rebounded after his return. The key difference is Anthony’s age (27) and lack of an established veteran backup with comparable left‑handed power, making his loss more acute.
Coaching perspective: Alex Cora’s adjustments
Manager Alex Cora, known for his aggressive platoon and defensive shift strategies, addressed the injury in a pre‑game press conference. “Roman is a vital piece, no question,” Cora said. “We’ll adjust the lineup, but we won’t abandon the principles that got us here—mixing left‑right, using the zone, and attacking early in the count.” Cora indicated that the Red Sox will increase in‑game pinch‑hitting opportunities for Duran and Verdugo, and will employ a “high‑lever” approach in the fourth inning, using two‑out rallies to generate momentum.
From a pitching standpoint, Cora plans to lean on left‑handed starter Nathaniel Lowe, whose split‑finger fastball has a 92.5% ground‑ball rate, to keep the opposing right‑handed power hitters off balance while the offense regroups.
Fan and fantasy implications
Fantasy baseball managers have reacted swiftly. Anthony, who sat at an average of 29.5 fantasy points per game in the first 20 games, dropped from a top‑15 outfielder to a bench‑depth option overnight. Jaxon Greene’s ADP (average draft position) has surged from 210th to 140th across major platforms, while Verdugo’s value has risen modestly due to increased playing time.
Betting markets reflect the uncertainty: the Red Sox’s win probability in the next ten games fell from 58% to 44% after the injury announcement, according to SportsLine analytics.
Looking ahead
The Red Sox will send Anthony to Boston’s sports medicine facility on May 23 for a comprehensive evaluation. If the MRI confirms a minor tendinitis, the projected recovery timeline is 3‑4 weeks, allowing a return before the All‑Star break. A more serious partial tear could extend his absence to 8‑10 weeks, potentially forcing Boston to make a roster move at the July deadline.
Regardless of the outcome, the Red Sox’s ability to adapt will define their 2026 narrative. The team’s depth, front‑office agility, and Cora’s strategic flexibility will be tested in a season that already feels like a battle for relevance in a fiercely competitive AL East.
Key Developments
- Red Sox executive confirmed the injury is unrelated to the wrist strain that initially placed Anthony on the IL.
- The player’s recent bat‑work attempt resulted in immediate pain, prompting an indefinite shutdown.
- Team medical staff will conduct magnetic resonance imaging next week to determine the exact nature of the problem.
When was Roman Anthony first placed on the injured list in 2026?
Anthony was initially placed on the IL on April 10, 2026, after a wrist strain limited his swing speed and forced him to miss the first month of the season (general knowledge).
How did Roman Anthony perform in his last full season?
In 2025, Anthony logged 150 games, hit .285 with 18 homers, 72 RBI, and posted a 4.2 WAR, ranking him among the top 20 outfielders in the league (general knowledge).
What are the Red Sox’s options if Anthony’s injury persists?
Boston could explore a short‑term trade for a left‑handed bat, promote top prospect Jaxon Greene from Triple‑A, or shift more defensive responsibility to Verdugo to protect runs (expert analysis).
